Abreu Advogados represents clients on all labour and employment issues in Portugal and Lusophone Countries (Angola, Brazil, Cabo Verde, Mozambique, Timor-Leste) including Individual Recruitment, Collective Bargaining Agreements, Compensation and Benefits, restructuring and employment litigation from multinational corporations to tech startups.
Against the backdrop of wide-ranging profiles, professional mobility, and growing robotization, it is important for companies to rely on specialized legal advice in all phases of development.
Concerning to employment in Portugal, Abreu’s practice team has extensive experience and a proven track record on all matters and relevant operations, both in terms of providing advice and representing clients in litigation cases before the labour courts and higher courts
Our labour and employment practice is ranked by leading industry publications such as Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500.
Our team’s experience includes, specifically:
- Individual recruitment, including foreign hires and senior management, as well as particular forms of working, such as remote or temporary work.
- Collective bargaining agreements, including negotiation, as well as labour disputes, namely strikes.
- Assisting in matters related to human resources, including compensation schemes, social security, personal data protection, stock options, RSU and other fringe benefits.
- Reflection of corporate dynamics on labour, specifically in situations of restructuring, mergers, transfer of undertaking, transfer of contractual position, outsourcing, and subcontracting, international transfer of workers, insolvency, as well as labour and social security due diligence.
- Advising on lay off and employment contract termination by agreement, individual redundancy and collective dismissal, as well as in disciplinary proceedings, assisting Clients during ACT (labour authority) inspective actions, and on labour accidents.
- All types of labour litigation, social security, and diverse litigation which reflects on work relationships.
Advising a multinational company on matters related to labour litigation and administrative proceedings arising from inspections by the Authority for Labour Conditions.
Regular advice regarding labour and employment law and social security law in Portugal to a highly regarded multinational group in the aeronautics sector.
Advising a multinational company in the health sector on human resources matters, including advice on procedures regarding various acquisitions undertaken by the group.
Advising a multinational company in the hospitality sector on matters related to human resources.
Advising a multinational company in the aviation sector on the acquisition and privatisation of all group companies.
Providing legal advice on the privatisation of a national company in the distribution sector.
Advising a multinational group in the food industry on transferring employees to another company and providing daily regarding on labour and employment law in Portugal, including legal proceedings.
Advising a multinational company in the health sector on integrating the company it acquired.
“Covering all aspects of employment law, a particular highlight for Abreu Advogados was representing Raríssimas in a high-profile case involving the dismissal of its founder and former president. ‘Flexible, customer-focused and results-oriented’, the team is led by Carmo Sousa Machado, Marta de Oliveira Pinto Trindade and Patrícia Perestrelo. Senior associates Ana Manuela Barbosa and Sofia Silva e Sousa are also recommended.”